They've definitely inspired me, and I think I might be contacting her in the near future to find out how I can get involved. In the meantime, I'm trying to brainstorm some other ways that my family, and perhaps yours, can help impact the world this Christmas, and not just by filling our own stockings.
1. Sponsor a child. www.compassioninternational.com
2. Give a Goat...or heifer...or a chick...or a llama... www.heifer.org In many countries, a family's animal is their main means of money, so by giving them an animal, you are actually giving them much, much more.
*I just bought Alan's Christmas gift: Chicks! For $20 I was able to purchase a flock of chicks that will help provide eggs for a family, as well as future income. http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.2667525/?msource=TH1E100001
3. Angel Tree http://www.angeltree.org/deliverlove This is a ministry set up to help provide Christmas gifts to children who have a parent in prison.
4. Help serve at a local soup kitchen.
5. Sign up to ring the bell for the Salvation Army www.usc.salvationarmy.org
6. Ask your local church of a family in need, then put together a stocking or gift set with the items and give it to them anonymously.
7. Visit a nursing home.
What are some suggestions or things that your family does to spread the Good News of Christmas?