Friday, April 9, 2010

The Right Reasons

So I was just reading this blog, and it sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I know her intentions are spot on-to help moms and babies in a third world country and raise support money for them. It's a humble thought and so dear to many to help others, especially in other countries.


 


But here's where I got frustrated with things:


 


The blogger decided to giveaway an iPad. She put together a drawing along with Compassion, so that for every $5 donated to Compassion equals one chance to put your name in the drawing for the iPad; $10 and you get double entry; $100 and you get 20 chances. Now, I will agree that something else the blogger did was for every person that enters, her family will make a $1 donation to Compassion. That part is awesome.


 


So far the followers of the blog that have entered have raised over $16,000. Amazing, right? But at what cost? Are they donating because they want to help a person(s) in need? Are they donating because they feel called to? Are they donating as a way to join together to make a difference?...


 


 


....Or are they donating because they want a shot at winning a brand new iPad touch? And if it's the latter, then are their hearts in the right place?


 


I don't know about you, but I get tired of living in a society where the only way to help another person is if you get something in return. It's the "What's in it for me?" mentality.


 


 


I have to stop and ask, did Christ, when He was on trial, stop and say, "Wait-what's in this for me?" How about when He was on the cross? How about the many volunteers and workers who fled to Haiti to help in the aftermath of the earthquake? I doubt that they stopped and said, "Ok, I've come to help, but I'm just curious-any chance I'll get something free for doing this?"


 


In Matthew 6:1-4 we are called to help the needy, but in this way: "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."


 


I can't help but think, what if the blogger attempted to raise money, but without any strings attached, without any perks other than knowing that her blog followers were coming together to help a great cause, how much she might have raised? My husband loves to read the blog called Stuff Christians Like (www.stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com - yes, there are three 'f's), and I remember my husband getting excited and telling me that this blogger was inspired to see if anyone would be willing to donate money to help build a school in another country for an area that didn't have one. The blogger and his readers raised not only enough money to build a new school, but build two or three new schools!! ...And no strings were attached. It's amazing what can happen when the Spirit moves His people to get involved.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment