Sunday, July 31, 2011

who are You? and who am i?

The song 'Who Is Like You' by Starfield came to mind tonight as I was praying. Here are the lyrics:

The Lord is my strength and my song
He has become my salvation
He is my God and I will praise Him,
I will lift him up.

Who is like You, Majestic in holiness
Awesome in glory, Working wonders?
Who is like You, Majestic in holiness
Awesome in glory, Working wonders?

In Your unfailing love
You will lead the people there You Redeemed
And in your strength, You will guide them
to Your holy place

Who among the gods is like You,
who in all the heavens?
Who among the gods is like You?

This song reminds me to put things into perspective: Who is like Him? He is everything. Why do I rely so much on the world and its wisdom, on the thoughts of others instead of His thoughts about me, why do I spend so much of my time on worldly things instead of focusing my attention to Him?

I'm reminded also in the song 'Who Am I?' of the same thoughts:

Who am I? 
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.
Who am I? 
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart.
...
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
...

Who am I? 
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again.
Who am I? 
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.


...these questions are my questions. Even when I know full well that He is God, He is the Great I Am, that no one is like Him in majesty and glory, I still doubt {in my sinner way} that He surely can't love me for who I am, the things I've done, the mistakes I've made. I love the chorus of this song though-

Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.


-and it reminds me-He reminds me-that He loves me for me. Not because of who I am, or anything I've done, but because of what He came to do for me. 


"As for God, His way is perfect;
the word of the Lord is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him.
For who is God besides the Lord?
And who is the Rock except our God?"
~Psalm 18:30-31




No comments:

Post a Comment